Since 2011, a sustainability team works on environmental and financial sustainability issues in the Secretariat, including through the development of assessment reports and recommendations on how to improve sustainability performance.
As of February 2015, the Secretariat has joined the UNEP Climate Neutral Strategy. 1,159 tonnes of carbon equivalent greenhouse gases generated in 2012 and 2013 by the activities of the Secretariat have been offset through the UNEP Climate Neutral Strategy. The certificates of emission reduction were obtained from two Clean Development Mechanism projects involving power in Tamil Nadu, India, and flaring of landfill gas in Colombia.
The Secretariat’s commitment towards improving environmental performance, including through measuring, reducing and offsetting the climate footprint, is an initiative taken for the long-term, and efforts will continue in the future towards further reducing and offsetting the environmental footprint.
Other green practices in the Secretariat
- Since 2010, the three conventions have implemented a paperless policy for their major meetings.
- Electronic publications and online tools are promoted over exclusively printed publications.
- Tele-, video- and online conferencing, as well as back-to-back meetings are promoted in view of a more cost-effective approach to travel.
- As of 2014, the Secretariat has phased out the use of water coolers in the offices.
- Other environmentally sustainable office practices are progressively implemented to minimize waste generation.