The Division of Environmental Law and Conventions of the United Nations Environment Programme (DELC) is the lead Division charged with carrying out the functions of UNEP that involve the development and facilitation of international environmental law, governance and policy. To fulfill its mandate, DELC’s work focuses on:
- Leading the international community in the progressive development of environmental law;
- Supporting States in the development and implementation of legal and policy measures that address emerging environmental challenges;
- Facilitating harmony and inter-linkages among environmental conventions;
- Working with MEA Secretariats to support States in implementing their treaty obligations;
- Enhancing States’ participation in regional and global environmental forum.
The Secretariat participates in the following UNEP DELC-led activities, among others: